- overuse of the character's names in dialogue or narrative. Excessive pronouns, too
- removed words like very, really, smiled, turned and grinned. To do this I use the "find" feature in Word.
- I was reminded that words cannot be growled, hissed, or any other animalistic sound, unless alliteration allows it. (found a couple!)
- no head hopping. Only one POV per scene
- I checked for and removed excessive adverbs ending in LY
- I removed all cuss words except for hell and damned in their intended forms. My publisher wants to be able to market to all age groups and I agreed to this condition in my contract. Plus, as I write for young adult anyway, I had only one or two places where I could find alternative wording.
I think the above list is a great place to start when you are looking to generally edit yourself. I know I learned a lot I will remember going forward. I'm sure I'll learn to hate editing, but since it was for my first book, I have to say, I