Thursday, September 23, 2010

Preparing for the Writer's Conference!

Okay, I've printed all my manuscripts, worked on my query letters, I've even laid out the outfit I plan to wear.  Why am I so excited?  Duh!  The Southern California Writer's Conference is finally here; first day is tomorrow.  I have the day off from work (with my boss's blessing) I'll get the kids to school and take off for the big event.

I don't have my head in the clouds, either.  Pragmatism and realistic expectations are the catch words for the day.  I DON'T expect to meet the agent of my dreams and have him or her drop dead at my feet over my projects.  I also DON"T expect to have my writing career unfold before my eyes with just an attendance at a conference.  I think I'm being totally realistic with the following take-aways I want to have:

  • I hope to meet other writers in the same circumstance as me, writing,    looking for an agent, not yet published, but ever hopeful.

  • I hope at least to make the acquaintance of some agents and additionally hope to leave them with a remembrance of me, having made a great first impression.

  • I hope to learn more about the craft of writing than I thought imaginable.

See?  Completely realistic.

Another exciting thing today: Chuck Sambuchino has announced a new contest on his I-Can't-Live-Without-It blog: www.guidetoliteraryagents.com/blog called the Sixth Annual "Dear Lucky Agent Contest" and the genre is soooo in my kitchen: paranormal romance and urban fantasy:  Hello!  That is my middle name.  I am going to submit right away, and you should too!

My next posts will be about the conference.  And even though I am remaining so maturely realistic and all, it won't kill me if you cross your fingers or light a candle or say a prayer for me.  I'll do the same for you.  Here we go!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally did that. Lay out outfits the night before. Though I ended up just grabbing whatever I could find in that bleary state right after you wake up.

    It was awsome meeting you! Keep in touch I would like to read yuor work and whatnot.

    Ha, figured out it doesn't say my name lol.

    ~Brianna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brianna,

    It was great meeting you too! Dying to read the reast of your ms ( and the rewrites you are no doubt doing...what do you think I'm doing up at this hour too? :-) same thing!) Keep reading the blog, too.

    ReplyDelete