Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Writer's Alphabet - P is for Platform

Platform is a word most writers know, and like "edit" or "query" it strikes fear in the author's heart. Not for what it is, but more for what it isn't.  That is to say, platform is the thing most writer's don't have.  But don't fret.  You can make one so easy! I wrote a blog about this a couple months ago that more than covers the issue.  I hope you enjoy the reposting.

Friday, August 2, 2013

Platforms for Dummies

I hope the "For Dummies" people will forgive me for stealing their mojo, but I couldn't come up with a better title than this. As many of you may already know, I was a total, straight-up, greenie when I began my publishing adventure.  I call it that, publishing adventure, because I had been writing my whole life and never could have prepared myself for the jungle that this industry is.

I started my research the way I always do...with the internet.  I was immediately overwhelmed. There were a million sites telling me a million things to do and my mind was boggled.

There was, however, a theme. Thank God.

I noticed the word "platform" over and over.  How it was vital I had one and how all agents look for one. Platform?  What the hell was that? And where the hell can I get one?  I read on.

Turns out, a platform is not a tangible thing.  Who knew? The best description I can give is that platform is really about how someone can find you and learn about what you offer.  That may not be the best explanation, but it made sense to me.  Platform therefore, is your presence on the internet.  In the beginning, my platform was like, nothing.  Nada.  Zip.  Zilch.  So, I studied and read some more.  Now, a couple years and nine books later, this is my platform:

  1. My facebook pages, both personal and my fan pages
  2. My Twitter handle
  3. My blog
  4. Posts I have made guest-posting on other blogs
  5. Reviews of my books
  6. My LinkedIn account
  7. My Pinterest pages
  8. My Amazon Author Page
  9. My Smashwords profile
  10. Book trailers on YouTube
Of course, the best part of my platform is actually my body of work.  Each book is a new introduction to me as an author and each story gives me another way to reach new fans, followers, friends, and fellow authors.  Every time I get a new written review or I post a new blog, my platform increases.  And about the best thing I can figure, it never gets smaller.  Win-Win!
I may not know everything about building a platform, but I am here to help you, if I can.  Happy platform-building!

No comments:

Post a Comment