Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Lisa Orchard, Astraea Press author, joins the Blog


Hey Followers, sorry I've been silent for a bit.  The Comb's household was taken hostage by a particularly vicious flu bug.  It's taken forever to get back to something close to normal.  I am behind on everything, the least of which is my beloved blog.

So, welcome today Lisa Orchard, a fellow author with me at Astraea Press.  She has been more than patient waiting to see her post....and it's such a great post with important information for any writer struggling with finding new fans, especially of the young-reader variety.  She has some cool ideas.  Welcome, Lisa!

Hello Everyone! 
I hope all is well with you today! I’m Lisa Orchard, the author of the Super Spies series and I’m here as a guest of Samantha’s. I’d like to take just a second and say thanks for having me here. Thanks Samantha!

Today I’d like to talk about motivation. I think having hopes and dreams is a very essential part of happiness. These goals are the motivation that gets us up in the morning. Wouldn’t you agree? J

As I look back on my life I realize my happiest times were when I was pursuing a goal.  When I was a teen, I wanted to be a detective. That’s right; I wanted to be Nancy Drew. J

So, I got my friends together, we formed our own detective squad, and started detecting. We had the time of our lives! It was awesome! Not only were we occupied for hours on end, but we stayed out of trouble… for the most part. J

As I look back, I realized why I had so much fun.  It was because I was chasing a dream and it was my dream not my parent’s, or my teacher’s, or my coaches; it was mine and mine alone…along with my friends.  I feel this is an important distinction when it comes to motivation. J

And maybe that’s why there are so many problems in our educational system today. We have reluctant readers and kids who don’t want to go to school. I have to wonder why? I loved school when I was a kid and even though I had a hard time getting up in the morning, J I was excited about learning.

When I thought about why our young people don’t seem motivated to learn, I had to ask why. And then it hit me. It’s our educational system. J When my kids go to school they have to learn what the teacher or the state chooses to teach them. So, if they’re learning about a subject that doesn’t interest them, their motivation goes right out the window.

 I say let’s give our kids choices. Why can’t our kids choose the books they want to read? The goal is to get them reading, right? Why not let them read the books that interest them? I think this would solve the motivational problem with some of our reluctant readers.

I know what you’re thinking? That’s kind of unrealistic. I mean we can’t provide different books for every kid.  Really?  J  Here’s my solution to the problem J. You knew I had one didn’t you? (wink).

Let’s provide all the students with e-readers. I know you’re laughing right now but let’s just think about this for a second.

If each student had an e-reader they would have a virtual library at their fingertips. With all the e-book choices out there I’m sure even the most reluctant reader would find a book he’s interested in reading. J

I know you’re worried about the cost, right? Well…ereaders are expensive that’s true, but have you checked out the price difference between paperbacks and e-books lately? I bet the savings between the two book formats would offset the cost of the ereaders very quickly.

And now that we’re talking about cost, why don’t we put text books in e-book format. Think of the huge savings there! J

So there you have it in a nutshell, my solution to the motivational problems for our reluctant readers. I’d love to hear what you think and if you have any ideas that would help ignite a young mind please share. And while you’re at it, check out my books.
I’ve got two available in my Super Spies series and I’ve been told that young readers have a hard time putting them down. J  They’re written for the Upper Middle Grade/ Young Adult market.  The covers and blurbs are below.

You can find me at these social media sites.



Buylinks: 

“The Super Spies and the Cat Lady Killer”  




“The Super Spies and the High School Bomber”


Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Super-Spies-School-Bomber-ebook/dp/B008P8O7OY









5 comments:

  1. Great post, Lisa, although I was hoping to read a bit about your detective adventures :-)

    I'm hoping to get my girl an e-reader over the next few years. My older girl is a vivid reader and I cannot keep up with her orders from the Library. AND PS - I'm one lucky mum, my girls love school :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Iris! I'll have to do a post talking about my detective adventures. :) You're fortunate that your girls love school. I hope that attitude continues through adulthood and they never lose the desire to learn more!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for allowing me to guest post today Samantha! I'm glad to hear everyone in your household is on the mend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers on a wonderful and informative post, Lisa! I totally agree, putting ereaders in the children's hands is a way of saving loads of money in the long run. Hey - why not have screens in desks? Some engineer should come up with that one! That way, text books are but a touch away, and would connect to ereaders or pads use at home. What a brainstorm! Let's make this world a better place for our children! Salute, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sharon thanks for stopping by today! Forget the engineer! Let's you and I get together and design these desks for kids! Let's turn this educational system around so our kids enjoy learning again! :) We'd make a great team! :)

      Delete