Wednesday, October 5, 2011

My Personal Path To Publication - Kathleen Tighe Ball

Today I am showcasing another new author friend I have been lucky enough to meet on the wonder to me that is facebook.  And as always, I have learned something new within this friendship.  Kathleen Tighe Ball, a relatively new novelist, like me, actually got her start in publishing in another completely new way I hadn't considered....she began putting her work on the public forum called "Textnovel."  I had never heard of this before I began talking to people on facebook.  Apparently, it has helped launch many publishing careers, not just Kathleen's.  Some post for the fun and the accolades, lucky for us, Kathleen took it to heart.  The author of five works now, Texas Haven, Ryelee's Cowboy, Callie's Heart, Lonestar Joy, and her newest, Stetson's Storm, she listened to all those forum members who voted her novels Reader's Choice Awards and read them over 30,000 times!  I'm pleased she also agreed to share her journey with us here on the blog.  Read on and check out yet another way you too, can come to be a published author!


1.   How long have you been writing?
I’ve only been writing for 2 ½ years. I never had the desire to write. I was always a crafty type of person. My son was going to be graduating High School and suddenly I realized that I would soon be an empty nester. My sister Tricia was writing her first book and I mentioned maybe writing. She sent me a book on how to write romance and I sat down at the computer and the words just flowed.  I remember finishing it and printing it out. I sat with it on my lap in awe. Writing had become my bliss in life.  It took me three months to write Texas Haven.

2.   Are you published and if so, how long have you been a published author?  If not, what’s your plan?  Which route did you choose for becoming published, the traditional route, with an agent, the “indie” route, going directly to the publishers yourself, or deciding to self-publish?
I decided to put it on Textnovel.com. It took a lot of courage to hit the submit button.  I was certain that people wouldn’t like it. I got views and votes and great comments and I was astounded.  I decided to write my second book Ryelee’s Cowboy  and it took off. As soon as I put up an update I’d instantly get at least 50 hits.  It won the Reader’s Choice Award and currently has almost 30,000 views.

3.   Describe your worst rejection letter.
The worst rejection letter I ever got was from a Romance Writers of America Contest. I sent in Texas Haven and one judge told me I shouldn’t be writing. I came in third from the bottom. As hurtful as it was, that judge highlighted everything I did wrong.  I could write a heart wrenching novel but I didn’t know anything about technique. I didn’t know about POV or passive sentences to name a few. 
I regrouped and kept writing and editing. I have completed five novels all modern western romance. I’m submitting to publishers right now.

4.   Describe the best news you ever got in your writing life and how it felt.
The best news I ever received was winning the Reader’s Choice Award for Ryelee’s Cowboy. I’ve also gotten fan mail from people with cancer and other ailments telling me that my novels help them escape their pain.  That makes writing worth it.

5.   What’s the worst piece of advice you ever got?
The worst piece of advice I ever got was when that Judge told me to stop writing.

6.   Now, tell us the best.
The best advice came from my sister Trisha- she told me to stop talking about writing and just do it.

7.   What’s the one thing you would want an aspiring writer to take away from your personal path to publication? 
I have realized that it’s the friends you make along the way that will help in your journey to publication. I have never met  a more supportive group of people as I have in the writing community.

8.   Where can we read your blog? Buy your books? Connect with you on facebook? On Twitter? Your website?
I just finished Stetson’s Storm

Hunky, Rodeo Star, Stetson Scott is back in town after a 5 year absence. Storm McCrory has what he unknowingly left,his son


This is what Kathleen would like you to know about her:  
I live in Fort Worth, TX with my wonderful husband and my son. We recently moved here from Rochester, NY so I'm learning a lot about Texas as  I research for my novels.I am actively pursuing the honor of becoming a published author!!

 I think Kathleen is the first author I have spotlighted who writes cowboy romance.  Come and check out her books...they are hot!  And comment here to let her know how much you enjoyed reading about her journey!

8 comments:

  1. Great Interview! Your right the writing communtiy is full of amazing people and they are very supportive of each other. I've added your book to my TBR pile!

    Leanne
    www.booknmakeup.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Interview - and your sister's advice about writing is probably the best piece of advice any aspiring writer can receive! My mother told me the same thing, and I'm so glad she did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful interview, Kathleen! Your words are inspiring and uplifting. I couldn't agree more about the support we have and offer in the online writing communities, I don't know what I'd do without them.

    Congrats on your award, and much success on all of your works! :D

    ~Ressa~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview Kathleen. You are one of the few people who have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for the wonderful comments and Thank you Samantha for interviewing me!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Kathleen, super comments and great following! I loved having you and also have added your cowboy cuddlers to my pile. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read all of Kathleen's work and I cannot wait until the day they're in official form and I can put them on my book shelf. I love the stories and she is so creative. The right publishing house is going to come along and when it does, watch out world! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. You go girl! Don't let anyone stop you from your passion. (I'm glad you didn't listen to the judge.)

    I agree--the writing community is a special group. They're priceless.

    Thanks for the interesting interview.

    ReplyDelete