Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Hi, my name is Samantha and I'm a TV-aholic

So, I am back in the saddle again.  As of this evening, I am editing the second book in the Spellbound series.  I have just sent off the first three chapters for Everspell to my editor.  Of course, she has been waiting for them for a week.  (Sorry, Kate)  But my new schedule has been a little brutal for me and has taken some getting used to.  One thing it has done is allowed me to redevelop an appreciation for quality time that does not include watching television.


For instance, tonight my kids and I watched a movie together, something we haven't done in well over two weeks.  Actually, I haven't even watched television in that long.  Which is a bit of an amazing thing in and of itself.  I used to be able to tell what day it was by what was on tv and now I can't even remember what I was missing.  I mean, I still remember the names of the programs, but it seems I don't miss them as much as I thought I would.


It doesn't take away from them at all.  I still believe that contrary to popular belief, there is some real quality broadcasting out there.  Shows like The Good Wife and Harry's Law and Prime Suspect, and any of the Law and Orders, natch, I always found well-written, well-acted, and enjoyable to the point that I was mostly unable to figure out the plot BEFORE the first commercial, unlike most sitcoms where I mostly feel I can figure it out, and, if I'm being honest, could probably write a better script.  


That being said, I must also confess this:  I love American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance, and Dancing With The Stars as well.  I was a reality show junkie.  But it seems I may have accidentally kicked the habit.


Oh, I may relapse.  I admit, I did sneak in a half hour of Toddlers and Tiaras this afternoon because I was bored and had the time.  And also, every so often I just need to see a three year old named Diamond or Alaska wearing a dress that costs roughly the same as my mini-van.  But that's just me.  I'm sure I'll shake the need in time.  Right?





No comments:

Post a Comment